ERGO-Wise is committed to the protection of personal information we collect in order to provide you with occupational therapy services.
ERGO-Wise provides occupational therapy services within the greater Ottawa area.
ERGO-Wise is owned and operated by Adeena Wisenthal, a registered occupational therapist and certified counsellor.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is obtained from the referral source and/or the individual client for the purposes of providing occupational therapy services. This may include information about a client's health history, family/work history, physical/psychological condition and function, as well as social situation or any other factors that may be relevant to the condition for which services are being provided.
Personal contact information (e.g. home address, telephone number, email address) may also be obtained for the purposes of appointment scheduling.
Protection of Personal Information
We take appropriate steps to ensure the protection of client transfer of personal information.
- Paper information is either under supervision or stored in a locked filing cabinet.
- Electronic storage of information is protected by password/encryption as applicable.
- ERGO-Wise computers are equipped with anti-virus protection software and are isolated from the public Internet via a secure firewall.
- Computer consultants/technicians agree to follow privacy principles. Where possible, access to computers is supervised.
- Reports and other relevant information are only provided to professionals (e.g. referral source, physician) for whom the client has provided consent.
- Paper information is transmitted through sealed, addressed envelopes by Canada Post or through a reputable courier service.
- Electronic transmission of information is protected by password and/or encryption as applicable.
- Fax transmission is only used when appropriate security safeguards are in place.
Retention and Destruction of Personal Information
Client files are maintained for a minimum of ten years, and a maximum of fifteen years.
Paper records are destroyed by shredding. Electronic records are deleted. Storage media such as CDs and flash drives are destroyed. Computer hard drives to be discarded are either destroyed or reformatted.
Access to Personal Information
Clients have the right to receive reports prepared by ERGO-Wise. These will generally be obtained via the referral source or physician. Where this is a problem, they may be obtained directly by contacting ERGO-Wise.
A client wishing to view their file may make arrangements to do so by contacting ERGO-Wise. We reserve the right to charge a nominal fee for such requests.
2571 Carling Avenue, Suite 205, Ottawa, ON K2B 7H7
Phone: 613.726.6329 FAX: 613.228.8642
Email: [email protected]
More general inquiries related to the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA) may be directed to the Ontario Information and Privacy Commissioner at:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400, Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Phone: 1.800.387.0073 FAX: 416.325.9195
Inquiries related to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) may be directed to the
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Canada at:
112 Kent Street, Ottawa, ON K1A 1H3
Phone: 1.800.282.1376 FAX: 613.947.6850
Last Updated: July, 2018